If you live in Texas, you know that our "soil" here is really clay. This makes it incredibly hard to have a successful garden unless you have been improving your soil for years (=at least 10). I was introduced to an alternative form of gardening called Square Foot Gardening. Not that there is anything wrong with traditional, single row gardens, this just makes sense for people like me who don't have black thumbs but are certainly not green thumbs. Perhaps yellow?
Anywho, I just finished putting my garden together and wanted to share the pictures with you.
In the top right corner there is a watermelon plant and the bottom left corner is a strawberry plant.

In the top square there is a bell pepper plant, 9 onions and 2 squash. The next square down has 4 tomato plants. The next square down has 2
tomatoes, 2 cucumber and 9 onions. The bottom square has four
cucumber, 1 spearmint and 1 onion.

In the top square is a
jalapeƱo plant. The square to the left there are 30 onions and one tomato plant. In the square to the right are carrots, beans and peas (just not sprouted yet). The bottom square has nothing in it yet. I am going to wait a few weeks before planting more so I can stagger the harvest.

I know it seems like a lot of plants for a little space but it can work. Read the book.
If you want to learn more about Square Foot Gardening, click
here. I have read and reread the book. It is totally worth the $18-20 that it costs. I recommend that everyone try it.
1 comment:
I so want to do this some day!! I want a garden of fresh tomatoes, and more. But I really want the tomatoes. Good luck with it, keep us updated on the progress. :)
Post a Comment