Gavin had surgery on one of his eyes when he was 3 weeks old and surgery on the other at 4 weeks old. The surgeries went well but we had to stay in the hospital for 24 hours after so he could be monitored to make sure he did not have any adverse effects from the anesthesia. Those were really long nights for me.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Looking Back
I was just thinking that so much time has past yet it hasn't been that long either. I remember right after Gavin was born, the pediatrician told me that there was clouding in Gavin's eyes. When he said that, I wasn't surprised because his father had cataracts as a baby too. It was a genetic thing and at least we knew early. I took Gavin to the ophthalmologist the next week to get his eyes checked out. For whatever reason it was a complete shock to me that he had to have surgery to have his lenses removed. I just cried in the doctor's office as I realized that my new baby was going to have surgery. It was a difficult time for me emotionally, knowing there is something wrong with your child but realizing that it is completely out of your hands. It was a struggle to feel so helpless.
Gavin had surgery on one of his eyes when he was 3 weeks old and surgery on the other at 4 weeks old. The surgeries went well but we had to stay in the hospital for 24 hours after so he could be monitored to make sure he did not have any adverse effects from the anesthesia. Those were really long nights for me.
The most amazing part of this experience was realizing how blessed I am. For the support I received from family and friends and the appreciation of modern science that made it possible for my youngest son to see. Had he not had this surgery, he would have been blind. He will have a life of ophthalmologists visits, eyes exams under anesthesia, contacts, glasses, surgeries and the possibility of developing glaucoma BUT I am so thankful that he can see his family and the beautiful world around him.
Life is beautiful.
Gavin had surgery on one of his eyes when he was 3 weeks old and surgery on the other at 4 weeks old. The surgeries went well but we had to stay in the hospital for 24 hours after so he could be monitored to make sure he did not have any adverse effects from the anesthesia. Those were really long nights for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a sweet post. I am so glad that Gavin has been able to have those surgeries and be able to see. He is such a cute little boy!
Gavin is great. A little over 26 years ago, Mom and I started our journey going through the same things you are and love helped us endure the surgeries, the many visits with doctors, the heightened awareness, and the unknown future. This field of medicine has made great advances over the years. You will succeed and Gavin will be more awesome.
Post a Comment