Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Ties!

Chris and I are going on a cruise next week and for those of you who don't know, there are two required formal nights. Chris just bought his first suit and in his mind the perfect compliment to it would be a solid emerald green tie. Like a good wife I went off on a search for such a tie. To my dismay, it appears that no store in the entire DFW area carries a solid emerald green tie! So what does a resourceful, thoughtful woman do? I am not sure but I headed to Hancock Fabrics and purchased fabric to what I thought was close enough to what Chris wanted. And the adventure began...
I have never made a tie before-the only thing that I have done was a quilt under the watchful eye of me grandma Rougeau. Whatever I didn't do correctly she would redo and the next day I would find my quilt in better shape than I remembered. I took out the pattern and started cutting away. Everything was looking good. When I sewed my first seam, however, I did it the wrong way. No worries, I also invested in a seam ripper. A good two hours later I was turning the tie right side out and was thinking "this is awfully thin and short for a man's tie." I pressed it to make the creases in the side and it looked like a kid's tie. I looked back at the pattern to see what I did wrong. In print large enough to read but subtle enough to miss , it read "Tie- boy".

Dang.

Oh well. I guess Torin has a tie for church now. I started all over again and this time found the correct Men's tie pattern and made another tie. This time it took me a lot less time . I think they turned out all right. I hope Chris will like it when he gets home tonight!!

Men's

Men's and Boy's
The ties are actually darker than they appear.

1 comment:

Corrine said...

I like the color!! I want to learn to sew!! Very good job! :)